Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Three Word Wednesday: Walk As Children


Let's be honest, humankind has a pretty lousy track record with snake-related distractions. And my children are no different.

There is a new found freedom in our household, and it comes in the form of the two oldest kids adventuring the whole 1 block home from school by themselves. I'm not going to lie, I'm still nervous about this most days, and frankly, they haven't done a whole lot to assuage my paranoia.

Like when they didn't come home last week. Ok, we give them a grace period of about 15 minutes seeing as they have an uncontrollable urge to assault every person they have ever met ever with a barrage of hugs and high fives. I must say, I love that about their school.

But when 20 minutes have passed and still no kiddos? "Better go get 'em," I tell my husband, and he heads out the door.

It wasn't the first time a snake would be blamed for the transgression of man. This snake was a pet, and the student who brought it to school had a blast showing it off.

And my kids are easily distracted.

So when I tell you my three words, don't think I am inviting you to distraction, or irresponsibility. It is certainly not a call to childishness. Goodness knows we don't need any more of that.

Walk as children.
 
"For at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light  (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true)," Galatians 5:8-9

The point of this passage lies more in walking in the light, discerning right from wrong and avoiding the ways of darkness.

But golly, what if we were to do that as children instead of fuddy-duddy adults?

What if our days were less about plowing from Point A to Point B, and more about exploring the sights along the way?

Because if you have ever E-VER tried to walking anywhere with a child at a reasonable rate to keep on some agenda accomplishing pace,
and if that child has ever thrashed about to get out of their stroller so they could walk themselves,
and if you have felt the knot of anxiety welling up in your heart and the feeling of powerlessness in compelling your child to walk in a straight line,
and if you have then determined that all of Satan's powers have now been concentrated into every itty-bitty crawling thing and colorful plant that could possibly lead your child astray,
and if you have then prayed to the good Lord above that you make it to your destination before nightfall,

then you know what a curious thing childlike fascination is.


And sometimes you might want it back yourself.

Because sometimes walking grown-up style is tedious and boring, and who doesn't want to skip now and again? Hold hands with a friend? Run as fast as you can? Question your world?

Just plain play?

Take the detour that eats up the time we claim as our own and spend it doing something worthwhile: marveling at how good our God is. After all, kids do it all the time.

When through the woods and forest glades I wander,
I hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
And hear the brook, and feel the gentle breeze,
 
Then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!
-How Great Thou Art

-----
If you'd like to join in Three Word Wednesday, write your own three words, or just read some good writing, simply click on the button on the right and link up!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this is so good! I just saw the scripture you have under "Post a Comment" and amen...I'm rejoicing because of this encouragement today. You have me wanting to go off to play. He really is SO good. I've gone on many walks these past couple weeks and often I do find myself simply in awe of how good He is. Thank you for this beautiful message. I will be humming the lyrics to what is my favorite hymn now too. Blessed by you. Thanks for linking up. {Hugs}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! I am really liking this Three Word Wednesday link up. It gives me a way to channel thoughts without being too specific. So glad I did it! And after the walk I had today I was encouraging myself as well:)

      Delete
  2. Hi Lauren! I am coming over from Three Word Wednesday.

    Your kids came home safely right? I didn't read that in your post, but I'm going to assume all is well!

    I was just talking to my daughter about her 18 mo. old. She doesn't want to sit in a grocery cart anymore, she wants to walk. My reaction was, "Oh, I hated that! So slow!" But now you have taken me to a newer place, and I should reconsider that attitude.

    Think like a child...well, you make a great case to do just that.
    Nice to meet you today!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could give you a new perspective, Ceil! The kids did come home safe and sound, and I'd like to say they learned their lesson, but we all know time will really tell whether or not that is the case:)

      So nice to meet you too and I look forward to reading more of your work!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photo! Great post. And, I had not realized those words are in How Great Thou Art! I'm so glad I stopped by.
    Thanks for your post.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being here! And that's the verse that gets skipped a lot- probably because it doesn't "say" as much as the others, but it speaks a lot more to me today than ever!

      Delete

"And when they had read it, they rejoiced because of its encouragement."-Acts 15:31. Thanks for commenting!