Monday, September 9, 2013

Messy Monday: Waiting in the Weeds

"When?" And I see the answer in his eyes.
 
They narrow as if to say, "Don't ask."
 
I know he can't answer my question, but it's like a reflex. You hear something good is going to happen and you think when?
 
How long must I wait?
 
It's been the story of my life for as long as I can remember...
 
Christmas. Birthdays. Vacation. Summer. School. Graduation. Wedding. Birth days.
 
Landscaping.
 
We live in a parsonage with the most understanding and at-the-ready congregation anyone could ever pray for, so I am absolutely positive this situation would play out very similarly even if we owned our own home.
 
The weeds have taken over the front yard rocks and it looks like a bit of a mess. Still, I shouldn't bother with the weeding because it will all be dug up sooner or later to prepare for new landscaping. Overcome by habit, I say,
 
When?
 
And just as it was when we lived in a house we owned, some things have to happen before we can get around to other things. First things first.
 
So we wait.
 
And on the day of my "when," I look down at the toddler monkey jumping and hollering at my feet, gesturing the sign for "eat" wildly as I cut up her grapes, and I sympathetically tell her to "chill."
 
It's coming. Just wait.
 
I hear ya loud and clear, Lord.
 
Waiting is fine. Worrying, not so much.
 
"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?... Therefore do not be anxious, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "what shall we drink?" or "What shall we wear?" For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Matthew 6:25; 31-33
 
When we spend much time looking toward the not-yet's instead of the right-here's, waiting slips into worry and blessings are missed.
 
Seek the kingdom of God first.
 
Your heavenly Father knows your needs.
 
And He is meeting them right here. Right now.
 
Open our eyes to your mercies new every morning, Father.
 
When wait for the Lord. We will never be disappointed.
 
 
A prayer for this blogger and all her readers today:
 
"Lead me in your truth and teach me,
for you are the God of my salvation;
for you I wait all the day long."
Psalm 25:5

No comments:

Post a Comment

"And when they had read it, they rejoiced because of its encouragement."-Acts 15:31. Thanks for commenting!