Saturday, September 14, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Mercy

Well, it's the Saturday edition of Five Minute Friday because I honestly was dragging yesterday. So please show me some mercy and indulge my tardy post:)

It's Five Minute Friday where writers across the globe get together and get their write on for five whole minutes with no editing or going back. Straight up thoughts spilling onto keyboards and it's always so good! If you would like to join us, come on over! or click the button on the bottom left of the screen.

Today's Prompt: Mercy

GO

I just showed my son mercy. I gave him all the way until the count of five to get his football downstairs before he lost his privilege to go the Iowa v. Iowa State party... That's mercy, right?

Jesus said it, "But go learn what this means, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.'"

I went to learn what that meant. My Pastor at the time explained it like this:

A man gets his wife flowers and hands them to her. Sacrifice is saying, "I got you these because it's our anniversary."

Mercy is handing them to her and saying, "I got you these because I love you."

The Pharisees had the same issue I face, only I am ready to repent of it. The empty sacrifices. I used to think sacrifice by nature included love. It just takes a quick sweep of the Bible to see that ain't so. Take a look at Cain.

Mercy on the other hand, while you can certainly show it outwardly and have selfish motivations, is so closely tied to love that mercy without love isn't truly mercy.

So all those little graces, those little gifts of love the Lord bestows on us poor creatures- those are mercies.

His mercies are new every morning, that's for sure.

The eyeball has over 2 million working parts, and all mine work- that's a mercy.

I have keyboard at which to type and glorify God- that's a mercy.

I have faith- that's a mercy.

I have four children alive and well enough to bug the heck out of each other- another mercy.

And so today I will count them, the little mercies. And feel the love.

STOP

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you still joined in! This was beautiful. I loved this ---> "is so closely tied to love that mercy without love isn't truly mercy." Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete

"And when they had read it, they rejoiced because of its encouragement."-Acts 15:31. Thanks for commenting!