Friday, September 6, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Red

I'm back and it's time for the first Five Minute Friday of the school year! It feels really good to write this again. I hope it feels equally good (or better) to read it! Come join us too, if you'd like:)

The rules of Five Minute Friday- you write for five minutes, no editing, no nothin'. Just look at the prompt and get to work and let it work. Today's prompt: Red.

GO

It comes to us in greens and reds. The Giving Season.

It comes to us as Christmas in August, and while the gifts abound in the greens of zucchini and the reds of tomatoes, packages of squash wrapped in plastic shopping bags, the reason for the giving is the same.

Jesus is the reason for every season.

And the neighbor across the street knows abundance when he sees it and loads us down with a couple dozen of his ripest tomatoes and the ache in my heart is awakened. Because the abundance I should be sharing with him I am leaving behind the four walls of the church next door.

The church across the street from this kind neighbor who pets my dog, and shares his food, and strikes up conversation.

Red is giving. To look at what we have and say, "You know, this is really too much. We can't possibly use it all, " and just give it away- like we are supposed to- it sets our hearts ablaze with the love and generosity of our very Father.

To view all my belongings and all the grace in the light of a tomato and say,

"It is more than enough."

That is a gift I sure could use today.

STOP

16 comments:

  1. Great thoughts here! I too have been contemplating the need to be generous- with my time, with my resources, with my words of encouragement. The gifts that God has given us should pour out to those around us, shouldn't they? Thanks for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we can contemplate this together:) It's nice to read that God is stirring His people to sharing His love!

      Delete
  2. I don't have much in the way of money, but I do need to remember to be generous with my time and abilities. Sometimes those are harder to give than money anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Rabia! Time especially- it's so valuable:) A good reminder for me there!

      Delete
  3. So glad you're back and writing - I've missed your voice! And these wonderful thoughts on red as abundance and giving away. Makes me think of Jen Hatmaker's book, 7, which I read over the summer. Have you read it? The idea that we will, in your beautiful words, "set our hearts ablaze with the love and generosity." Love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen it but haven't read it. I'm almost scared to because I know it will stir my soul into changes (that would really be good for me). I think I will be picking it up soon!

      Delete
  4. I find that too often I see the taking (from selfish little me) rather than the joy I could have in the giving. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back to FMF. Beautiful post. I love your images too. "Jesus is the reason for every season." Amen! Such wonderful thoughts on red. Since returning from a mission trip I find myself taking a closer look at what I have. Many time not showing enough gratitude for how He has blessed us and wanting to be more giving by sharing with others. Thank you for joining in today!! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! So good to be back. And I ended up going through kid stuff today and could hear a voice telling me, "It's so much. It's for someone else." So glad God uses gratitude to prompt our giving:)

      Delete
  6. Wonderful thoughts on giving and sharing. I'm visiting from FMF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Giving is sweet regardless if it's little or much. Those tomatoes have me salivating. I was looking forward to my own bumper crop but a rabbit got to it first :( I was so looking forward to fresh salsa and homemade spaghetti sauces, oh well. Guess the poor little guy needed it more. Great FMF post!

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much for coming by- hopefully you'll be able to recruit other people to give you a share of their goodness!

      Delete
  7. Red is giving...
    I loved your post and am so glad you shared your voice today (and by today I mean for FMF--I'm just this far behind!) :)
    {HUGS}
    thank you...for helping me see more clearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki- thank you so much for your encouragement:)

      Delete

"And when they had read it, they rejoiced because of its encouragement."-Acts 15:31. Thanks for commenting!