Friday, January 10, 2014

Supernatural Hope {Fearless Friday}

I learned a few years back that just because death is common to all man, that doesn't make it common to our souls. Back then I lost my mother-in-law and two babies.

This past week, I lost a friend.

Details unnecessary beyond,"cancer sucks."

Tomorrow I sing for his funeral and I haven't practiced the song yet without crying. I guess I'm just hoping that if I practice it enough, I'll be all dried out. I already tried the "pretend it didn't happen" approach, hoping that would get me through Saturday, but it didn't work. The praise team sings too, and I'm just hoping no one expects a Grammy Award winning performance, because we were a mess at rehearsal.

He played guitar for us and I can't tell you how beautiful his music was.

So, he and his wife are my Fearless Friday. Because 7 months ago everything was fine, and now... it's not.

I thought about this yesterday as I drove home from Omaha. Perhaps they weren't fearless. Each appointment brought more and more bad news. They just knew they'd show up and he'd take tests and the results would come and... more bad news. That pattern can certainly cause some fear.

Still, the only word I heard out of their mouths was peace.

There were tears. More than I can imagine. I find it amazing even now as I write just how freely tears can flow. But when all was said and done, they had peace.

They could see something beyond this present circumstance, and that vision was supernatural. That strength, that perseverance, that optimism that they displayed- that was supernatural. It was fearless.

Because God reigned in their hearts and in this situation.

Fearlessness has nothing to do with your circumstances, and everything to do with your God.

When God is God, love overshadows fear. It doesn't annihilate the pain. It doesn't eradicate heartache. It gives hope. Supernatural hope.

"When all of a sudden, I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory.
And I realize just how beautiful You are and how great Your affections are for me."
How He Loves, David Crowder

I don't have the words right now to tell you just how wonderful and loving this man was, this couple was. We were awed and thankful, so thankful, for their peace and their presence. I just ask that you pray. Pray for his beautiful wife, his kids, his grandkids, his friends. Thank God for His faithfulness. Ask for strength and comfort and anything else you can think of. And pray for those of us singing tomorrow. Lord, I Need You is hard enough to sing without crying. 

For now I'm just thanking God for His promises.

"He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, 
and death shall be no more, 
neither shall there be mourning, 
nor crying, nor pain anymore, 
for the former things have passed away.”
 Revelation 21:4

Thank you all for your words of encouragement to me. I appreciate them so much, and it warms my heart to know that God is using me to bless others. I am so thankful for each of you. Have a blessed weekend.

Love,
Lauren


5 comments:

  1. Lauren, Such beautiful words here. I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to your friend's family and to you. Please know I will be praying for God's love upon you all. As you prepare to sing to celebrate your friends life, this I know...God is with you. He will be your strength.
    Oh how I'm praying for you all. Sending big (((hugs))) your way.
    Quick side note -- only so I don't forget. How far are you from Omaha? We can discuss later.
    Love you,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for everything, Beth:) See you soon!

      Delete
  2. Lauren, my mother-in-law just went to Jesus yesterday. The emotions are varied as night and day, the relief is palpable for dementia took her from us years and years ago. But yes, the sadness is there, thick. But His peace? Greater.

    Praying with you, for you ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am praying with you and for you as well, Linda!

      Delete
  3. Oh Lauren, my heart just goes out to you and the young man's family. Thank you for sharing even in your pain. Praying for them and you.

    ReplyDelete

"And when they had read it, they rejoiced because of its encouragement."-Acts 15:31. Thanks for commenting!