Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Ready, Set, Go

I'm a simple woman. I have this formula for movement. Essentially it's this- the stronger the beat, the faster I go. In fact, if you could just remix everything in my world, I'd probably be the most efficient woman on the planet. Bumpin', that's the word I was looking for. I need something bumpin'.

Following said formula, I emptied the dishwasher with passion a couple days ago. I cleaned up after supper with the enthusiasm I once had clubbing yea so many years ago. I just wish I could pop-n-lock. And those glimpses I caught in the window, those reflections that confirmed that no matter how awesome I am in my own mind- I still look like a mom dancing, they didn't deter me one bit. I played "Ready, Set, Go" on repeat and my husband just smiled as the opening measures cycled again and again. My son said I was weird- bonus.

I danced to "Ready, Set, Go" yesterday as well. Best 69 cents I've spent in a loooong time. If you like bumpin' music, it's by Royal Tailor. Anyway, I told my husband these were my three words for Wednesday. I just didn't tell him it would be about him.

We've been married 9 years today. "Ready, Set, Go" could be our theme song. I met his sister in college. We were out with the choir one night and, while I don't remember the exact conversation, I'm pretty sure it went something like this:

Me: Boys, like, totally suck. I'm done. 
Melissa: Yeah, I hear ya.
Me: I give up.
Melissa: You know, I should totally hook you up with one of my brothers. Then we could be SISTERS!
Me: That would be so AWESOME!

I met his folks the next day, introduced myself as their future daughter-in-law and decided to just go ahead and start calling them Mom and Dad. Didn't have the son picked out yet, but it was pretty much a done deal, right? Met his Aunt, Uncle, and Grandma. This could work.

Talked to the guy online for a while. Then on the phone. Met him in person one January, married him the next, had our first child the next. Moved and ministered. And I know the cornfields of Iowa don't seem to be a "ready set go" kind of atmosphere, God is showing us that ready, set, go is His call- not ours.

God has taught me a lot over the past nine years, the majority of it through my family.

The one that sticks out today- God doesn't wait until you think you are ready- for anything. Because half the time I have thought I was ready and certainly wasn't. The other half, I doubted my readiness and He supplied all the ready I needed.

I am married to a man who is ready always- at least he seems that way. He looks for opportunities to share Jesus with people. That may seem like a no-brainer with him being a pastor and all, but trust me, it's not. I could go on and on about how much he rocks, but I don't want to make anyone's teeth hurt from all the sweetness.

Thank you awesome readers for indulging this little post dedicated to an amazing gift I've been given. I know if I would have had any hand in it, I would have screwed it up a looong time ago. And now you've all also been privy to his anniversary card, since I haven't made that yet... You are welcome. Love you all and have a wonderful Wednesday:)

-----
This sappy post is being forced upon anyone else who links up with the FABULOUS Simply Beth for Three Word Wednesday:)

If you are looking for the song that bumps my world:


7 comments:

  1. So glad I had an (albeit) small part in your story! You guys are an amazing couple and God has truly blessed you. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You played a crucial role in our story:) Thanks for handpicking me for your brother:) Love you too!!!

      Delete
  2. Ah, yes, God's timing isn't our timing. I'll never really be fully ready even though I often times think I am ready well before God does. :) Happy anniversary. Thanks for your sharing some of your love story. (Visiting from Beth's!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Kristin! Thank God He sees what we can't see:)

      Delete
  3. LOL! I could see you dancing, bc it's probably how I look when I do it too :) And yes I get the "your so weird" comment a lot :) Happy Anniversary!
    And love Royal Tailor, I was introduced to this group at a Casting Crowns concert a couple of years ago. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There you go again...having me in BIG smiles. And how awesome it was to already have heard some of this story of how the two of you met. Yep--reminded me that we are more than online friends now. :)))
    Now I need to head over and search this song. It may be a little late for dancing but I need to hear.
    Love ya,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha. you provided a link to the song. Remember, it's late and I really should be in bed.

    ReplyDelete

"And when they had read it, they rejoiced because of its encouragement."-Acts 15:31. Thanks for commenting!