Friday, October 11, 2013

Ordinary

 
“It never failed to amaze me how the most ordinary day could be catapulted 
into the extraordinary in the blink of an eye.” 
― Jodi Picoult, Handle With Care
 
She sprawls, eyes wide and smiling. One foot, then the next. A little cotton sock, flowered pink, stretched over five chubby toes, the ball, the heel, the foot. She wriggles, all smiles. I take my index finger, gently stroke it down the center of her sole. And in return, her squeals stroke my soul as well.
 
Best. job. ever.
 
So ordinary, yet I wonder at how her laughter lifts me so, and if God perchance feels that delight when we laugh at His playfulness. At His gifts of joy.
 
More time. More day. More ordinary. Lunch at school. 6 year old fingers clutch my sleeve tightly as he smiles and points to his friends, "She's here! My mom is here!" All that time that has flown by in a gust of ordinary, but I'm given the gift of stopping, sharing, eating beef and bean nachos with some of the most remarkable kindergarteners in the world. Time for recess. Oh I miss that! Watching the boy play soccer, the girl play basketball, and the hordes of children not from my womb, yet in whose world I get to play a part. Even just a smile.
 
The weather is not ordinary. Warm for October. So we take advantage of a night when everyone is home, and resolve to play basketball at the church.
 
Lost shoes. Lost balls. Lost minds. Lost time. But we are out the door, and within 15 minutes every single child has cried, except one. The toddler, for whom crying is the primary language, is the only one who doesn't bawl about something, or everything.
 

The crying is sprinkled with intermittent laughter, berry picking, applause.

We travel home in the sunset...


 
She's three, but she sees my phone and hears the clicks and understands. Her perspective just slightly off from mine, she sees what I miss.
 
"Are you taking a picture of the heart tree, Mom?"
 
I am now.
 
 
And as we race back to the house, over the cracked sidewalk, hampered by tiny toddling feet and clutching fingers, I carry the balls and the little one up the driveway, and I see that the preschooler must have been too spent from the evening's recreation to carry her doll all the way inside.
 
Or even to keep her completely dressed.
 

I laugh, head shaking. Completely tickled.
 

Tickling, that sensitivity to touch, it's not just physical.
 
When I am overcome by the grumps and growls of life, I have lost touch with my Maker. Become blind and calloused to His presence in the day to day. To be sensitive to the One who touches us in the ordinary is a gift, and an everyday goal.
 
Today I am praying you will see and feel Him- especially in your ordinary.
 
-----------
 
Joining Lisa-Jo Baker, and other brave and brilliant writers, today for Five Minute Friday. Though I confess, this took a bit longer than 5 minutes... If you'd like to read other perspectives on the prompt "Ordinary," or want to join us in the fun, just click on the button to the bottom right!
 

7 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! I'm feeling blessed to be your neighbor today at Five-Minute Friday. The tickling, the cracked sidewalk, the half-naked Barbie- I'm relating to all of it and thanking God for chances to see the holy in the middle of the craziness of life.

    Blessings to you this Friday, Lauren!

    Abbey @ Surviving Our Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Abbey! There's nothing like it and I have to remind myself of that daily:) So glad you stopped by and related with me:) Happy weekend to you!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful tribute to the extraordinary loveliness of everyday life. I love your reminder to pause and observe (and be thankful) for these moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you visited me, Rebekah! I've been enjoying your writing and am honored that you took the time to read this in the midst of your desert journey memoirs:)

      Delete
  3. I was reading this thinking, "WOW, she types fast ...that's a lot in 5 minutes!" Ha!! Great post..even if it DID go a little over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know! My husband was like, "This is a lot longer than your usual Five Minute Fridays!" So, I put the disclaimer in. I thought, "You know what? This is my post- I'll write as long as I want!" I'll probably be back to my rule-following ways next week:)

      Delete
  4. There is such extraordinary beauty in everyday life when we stop to look for it, isn't there ? Thank you for pointing out that God is there with us in it all.

    ReplyDelete

"And when they had read it, they rejoiced because of its encouragement."-Acts 15:31. Thanks for commenting!