Friday, October 18, 2013

Laundry

Can anyone please tell me when laundry made it to the list of credentials for a good mom? Like there is some weekly diagnostic test as to the efficacy of my mommy-hood, and laundry is right there at the top.

Sister, I fail.

And I have half a mind to crawl into a little fuel-efficient time machine and do a little rewriting of history.

A few years back, I read a well-meaning blog post from a young mother who really insisted that cleanliness and laundry be at the top of our list of things to do because that was good stewardship. It revealed to the Lord, and everyone else, just how thankful and grateful we are to God for His good gifts. Really, she meant well. We should appreciate His gifts- we really should.

But thankfully, my young mommy self puzzled and stewed and ranted, and finally read and prayed enough to know that not all gifts are created equal.

I simply cannot put clothes on par with kids. And if you want to know my real reason for the epic disaster that is my laundry-littered basement, it's those kids. And the laundry genie I ordered a few months ago still hasn't arrived...

First things first. Priorities. Lessons from motherhood. Laundry shouldn't be its own circle of hell. Laundry doesn't need to be the cruel tyrant in the kingdom that is my life. God is the only Lord I have, thank you. So, if you happen to have to wade through the ocean of clean or dirty clothes in my basement, or smell my shirt and realize I really should have just cleaned it again after I wasn't sure if it sat too long in its own wet after being washed, here is a good idea of the things I was doing instead of watching the washer.

Feeding kids. I do this a lot. Like, every five minutes it seems.
Reading to kids.
Talking to kids
Playing with kids.
Reading to me.
Cooking.
Laughing.
Tickling.
Talking to my husband.
Shopping for groceries.
Shopping for us.
Quiet time.
Talking to sister friends.
Singing.
Dancing.
Writing.
Praying.
Running.
Sleeping.

To get to laundry would take a five minutes all its own. In the meantime, I'm extending grace. To you. To me.
------
Today's post is part of a series called Five Minute Friday, hosted by Lisa-Jo Baker over at the Gypsy Mama. A ton of rad writers take her prompts and, for five minutes- or thereabouts- patch an amazing global quilt of God-glorifying blog posts. Click on the Five Minute Friday button and join us! I feel like I should also give a shout-out to the awesome gift that is my husband. I don't raise these kids or do this laundry without a partner in crime- you rock, Scott!

8 comments:

  1. What a blessed life, this radical homemaking life you describe - it's most beautiful, how you describe your day!

    "Cleanliness is next to godliness" is a phrase I learned somewhere in my background, but I don't remember where or when it popped up. I don't believe it's true and definitely not as a priority value.... but I'm afraid I tried a little too hard when my kids were young... one of my many mistakes :)

    Great article - it was lovely to visit you today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! Glad it comes off as beautiful, when so often it just seems a mess:) I'm with you in the "cleanliness is next to godliness" boat- it's bunk, but we all have lessons to learn and I can't wait til one day my kids point out all the mistakes I made raising them... Grace, mercy, peace to all us moms! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Oh, my I completely agree. You said it so much better than I did. I'm not that great with words. ;-)
    Sometimes we just don't have those 5 minutes or they are needed else where. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by- its always nice to hear that maybe I'm not way off in left field:) I'm looking forward to reading your post!

      Delete
  3. Amen to extended Grace. Where would we be without it??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shudder to think... Isn't life so much better with grace? :)

      Delete
  4. Yes, Amen to extended Grace. I only need to do laundry for my husband and I now and it still sits pilled up in bins and many times never making it to the hanger before ending up in the dirty bin again. :) Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! So you're saying there's no hope, huh? :) That makes me feel better- to know there is grace and expectations can go fly a kite! Thanks for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

"And when they had read it, they rejoiced because of its encouragement."-Acts 15:31. Thanks for commenting!