Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Brace For Impact (Three Word Wednesday)

She looks at me, eyes smiling as she clutches her crackers. She has chubby cheeks and curly hair, so utterly different than every other child of mine.

But her playfulness is the same as that of any other happy toddler.

I send her the sternest look I can muster in the face of those ringlets, cheeks, blue eyes, and electric smile. My index finger firmly pets the air upward, coding the urgent message: come here.

She knows what that means. I know she knows what that means because she smiles wider, scrunches her nose, and hightails it the other way.

I have no other choice. I have to go after her.

So, as my daughter climbs the scarlet stairs up to the altar, and her father delivers an impassioned sermon about one of the "Unusual Suspects" Christ called to be a fisher of men, I cast my line. She knows I've almost got her, so she does what she always does. She stops, squeezes her eyes shut, pulls her arms to her chest, her hands to her neck, and laughs. She braces herself for impact. I haul in a whopper of a girl. And I want to be mad, I really do. I just can't.

Sometimes in the waiting, we want to brace ourselves for impact- for whatever God has planned for us. And that really is so good. Except, we forget Who we're dealing with. God is mighty, sure. But God is also love.

So, we picture God's big plan as rocking our world. Entering earth's atmosphere.

We see the hard, and miss the heart.

We forget. God's biggest impact is always always always made by love.

That's how He created us. That's how He saved us. Every single time, God impacts us with His love, in His love.

Bracing is a natural instinct of ours to prepare for what's to come, so what if we prepared to be loved in a big way? I mean, a really big way. Today.

Would it open our eyes to the love impacts He makes on us every moment, every breath of our day, until even our breaths are blaring testimonies to the love of our Great God?

His love is amazing, persistent, gritty, beautiful, constant, and it is with you now. It isn't just a feeling. It's a guarantee that the Lord will work in your life in a way that is consistent with His character. Will it be hard? Probably.

But hard is bearable when His heart is what's bearing you up.

We've read the lines. Heard them sung and spoken. But what if we heard and saw 1st Corinthians 13:4-10 in action today? As God speaking them to us...

I am patient and kind to you, Beloved.
I will not compare you to others, or wish you to be more like them.
I will not belittle you or make you feel worthless in my sight.
I am God over all, but I say and do nothing out of cruelty toward you.
My plan is right, but that doesn't mean I am closed off to hearing your plans and pleas in prayer. Talk to me!
My anger is always just, and always aimed at that which is separating my children from me-
You won't find Me to just be cranky like a human. 
I don't hold grudges. When I say you are forgiven- You are forgiven.
I find no delight in the sins of man. The things that have hurt you- I've seen them all and they do not please Me.
I rejoice with all the heavenly host when one sinner repents, and comes to the truth.
That includes you.
There is nothing you can you do, say, or endure that I cannot bear, and will not bear, for you.
Just look at the cross.
I know for a fact the power within My grasp, so when I tell you that all things work together for the good of those who love Me- believe it. Put your hope in me. No matter what you endure. I'm there with you throughout it all.
I will never, ever stop working on your behalf. I will never stop showing you love. When the days get long and things get too hard- remember that all of this will be gone someday soon. The good stuff and the bad. What will remain is our love forever. When you cling to My love, you cling to something eternal- doesn't that reveal just how much stronger it is than your present circumstances?

Praying God impacts you with His love today. The love that created the world. The love that traded His robe of glory for human flesh. The love that nailed Him to the cross and kept Him there until it was finished. The love that resurrected that third day and reigns in your heart.

Brace yourself. He's about to make an impact:)

I would love to hear how God has impacted your day, and your life in real ways! It is always so exciting to see how personally He chooses to relate His love to each one of us. The magnitude and creativity of our loving God is just amazing!

------
Linking up with Simply Beth at Three Word Wednesday today! For more posts on three incredible words, just click the button and get reading. Or think of your own three words and link up with us!

10 comments:

  1. Lauren - I just had to come & see who it was that blessed me with her comment :) AND I am so glad that I did! I LOVED this post! I am not sure why (except that it is the way I am wired & so I apologize) but your post brought to mind this portion of Scripture, "Then the Lord answered Job from the whirlwind: Brace yourself like a man because I have some questions for you, and you must answer them" (Job 40:6-7, NLT). God then proceeds to ask questions that had to make Job cringe - ie - "Are you as strong as God?". (Seriously? Umm, that would be a "NO!".) or how about, "Can you thunder with a voice like his?" (somehow I don't think my yelling at my kids counts as "thunder"). My point? I truly did have one & thought I would get to it much quicker except my Bible is open in front of me & I keep reading that portion.....My point....Sometimes we brace ourselves in the whirlwind when we should just let loose & go with Him in the wind. I thank you this morning for causing me to think! So glad you visited me!!!!
    Blessings, new friend!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I always thought of bracing myself included something unpleasant happening. (I think being called out by God is rarely a pleasure- and it happens more often than I care to admit;)) But she actually smiles when she knows I'm coming! Like, "Come get me!" That should be my prayer today! "Come get me, Lord!"

      Delete
  2. The way you described your daughter drew me right in - it was as if I was right there! Long, long ago I remember moments like that, too... when you feel you need to discipline, but you just can't because it's too funny, too adorable...

    And suddenly you're reminded that (because I think children are God's greatest teachers) that maybe God is chasing you in the form of this toddler... maybe God is laughing, too... because we so often take life so seriously.

    I think God wants to laugh with us so much more than we do... because He's so confident and in control, there's nothing to be afraid of. Like Jviola above, I agree we should be willing to "let loose and go with Him in the wind" - like your adorable toddler.

    What a GREAT way to start my day today - what a lovely picture of our Father's love to contemplate. Yes, I really want to experience a moment like this today with my Abba God! Have a great Wednesday, Lauren, and thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids are such a blessing that way! I think I have mellowed a bit with each one- become more discerning with the moments to savor (Give me about 5 minutes and I'm sure I'll lose it again;)). So glad it brought you joy and you reminded of what a great Father we have! Blessings, Sister:)

      Delete
  3. Lauren, beautiful writing as usual. Love your description of your little lady, I couldn't have described the same feeling with my little man as good. I want to accept that wondrous love today and everyday. I so often forget I am not alone and God will never leave me. Yesterday I heard a song while I was driving that I hadn't heard for forever and had forgotten about, but it reminded me of the loving gift God has given me in my beautiful children and how seeing the world like they see the world through their eyes would bring so much joy to my life. The Lord has also shown me his wondrous love in recent months by giving me a friend that has impacted me greatly;). It feels good this morning to put away my "poor me" thoughts and instead think of all the love God has for me and all the loving gifts he has given me. Thanks Lauren! Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you read this today, Sam:) And I am glad I could help you start your day by remembering what a crazy love God has for you:) Your friendship has been a wonderful reminder of that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post! In my waiting, I've often found myself braced for the impact of what will come next...never stopping to realize the impact of God's love in whatever He brings. Even as I transition to my new position, it's been hard not to think what have I gotten myself into? I appreciate the reminder to remember that God is all up in this new phase of my life and His will is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad this served you in your time of waiting and transitioning, Holly! He has so much good prepared for you!

      Delete
  6. I'm not sure why but this had me near tears. Good tears. I'm literally blown away these days by how great He is. Your post and the others I've read so far are all reminders to seek Him. It makes this heart of mine want to pray even harder for others to know Him. I can no longer imagine trying to get through life without Him. He has impacted me with His love! Your words my friend...your heart...you bless me greatly. I'm so grateful you are part of this community. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very glad this post, and others, have blessed you and served your faith. I know what you mean- I just wish everyone else knew this love of His. Praying for you continually with thanksgiving, and praying God blesses you especially in this time of waiting!

      Delete

"And when they had read it, they rejoiced because of its encouragement."-Acts 15:31. Thanks for commenting!