Friday, March 8, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Home

Five Minute Friday here! And the Gypsy Mama had a new prompt for us writers this morning. Written in 5 minutes flat. Here goes...

---
GO

Home

Ooooooo this should be interesting! You see, I do this for a living.

I'm a homemaker.

You can believe me- I have the unused college degree and scribbled walls to prove it.

I would LOVE to peak into the mind-windows of those who hear the word "homemaker." Would it jibe with the word "home"? I wonder.

And what if making homes, not houses, was considered a real "occupation." I think people out there try to accomplish that- and they sure do make some good looking "homes." All color coordinated and organized and a place for everything and everything in its place. Amazing.

I can see it- people call 1-800-DRS-HOME and a well trained team of professional homemakers dispatches an expert to the house of a frazzled working suburban couple. They sweep in and with all the grace of Mary Poppins, sing a song as the dishes are again stacked neatly ("Darling, how can a home be a safe place when your child can't reach for a cereal bowl without the threat of a concussion?"), and the toys whisk away to their respective toy bins. Ahh.

Or how about I take a lesson from the Master Homemaker. After all, He made this home once- perfectly. And when the key element of home flew out the window, relationship, He prepared us another one.

Grace, that's what makes even this decaying tent feel like a home, not so that I can get comfortable, but so that I can see my relationship with Him shine through even my darkest days. Hope. Love. Peace. Joy. That's what makes a building into a home. Jesus. And each day I get to anticipate my true Home again.

STOP.
----

And I feel I should note that in 5 minutes I wrote this little doozy in 4 different places. Because moms get followed and their brains have a hard time making the journey to blogging land with little voices clambering into the luggage...

4 comments:

  1. HIGH-FIVE! Loved reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are my kind of people!:)
    I love that you persisted in writing it, even when followed.

    confession: Before I had kids, I made houses of the frazzled suburban couples into a home for a living. cleaned. organized. decorated. hung kid's artwork on the walls all fancy. and now that I am the homemaker, I realize. The scribbles on the walls are earned. it looks more like home than anything I've ever drawn up before, no matter the budget;)

    Hugs to you! Thrilled to meet you via 5MF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm one of those homemaker's with the unused degree hangin on the wall, and I wouldn't want it any other way! Kuddos to you for finishing, even with followers:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Ladies! Nikki- I admire people who can see what things can be in the midst of a mess, but you're right- I earned these scribbles and their value is priceless! And Alecia- Amen. Yay for home!

    ReplyDelete

"And when they had read it, they rejoiced because of its encouragement."-Acts 15:31. Thanks for commenting!