Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Destiny and Motherhood: Why I Choose to Keep a Messy House

Sometimes I really relate to the donkey the disciples fetched for the Lord Jesus.

Because I become completely untied, and it is not until I ask why that I hear their response: Because the Lord has need of it. (Luke 19:31)

I just absolutely love my coffee mornings. A few friends come over and we drink our beverages and chat about what's happening in our lives and town and world. We solve some problems. Sometimes.

Just yesterday I led those dear friends around the parsonage that may or may not be getting a facelift. I explained the vision, salting my speech with excitement over what could be.

And peppering it with apologies. Not one room of my house is clean. Not one. Passable maybe, but not clean.

Did my friends demand excuses and apologies? Absolutely not. Did they offer judgment and condemnation for the clutter? No way. If they had, would it have depleted the worth of my personal stock? Nope.

But the apologizing- it just gets exhausting. My mind and heart and soul are squished into a sorry little box as if that is all there is by which to measure my worth, and I become enslaved.

Enslaved to a house. I piece of real estate.

I become a victim.

Yesterday I changed that. You know what, I'm not a victim. And for any mothers or fathers out there who are enslaved to the image of being "put together," neither are you.

As for me, I am poor and needy, but the Lord takes thought for me. You are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God! Psalm 40:17

The Lord of the universe thinks and takes action to benefit us poor, needy souls. We are victors!
 
But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Cor 15:57
 
You know what else? This unshowered, sweatpant wearing, tired mom has a destiny. Really- even me. And if I have a destiny, you can bet every single person out there has one too.
 
No doubt the cleanliness of my house may play a role in the fulfillment of God's destiny for me, but as a means- not an end. I will choose to see it that way. I will look to the end goal.
 
So if you happen to stumble into my house mind your step, and know that instead of devoting my blood, sweat and tears to wiping up every muddy shoeprint, fishing out every bobby pin from the carpet, and putting every doll in its age appropriate bin (assuming I could find said bin), I have chosen instead to tend to the following responsibilities:
 
* Kissing scraped knees
* Making waffles
* Sorting clothes along with the kids
* Reading
* Running in the sunshine
* Playing soccer with the kids
* Going to the park
* Thawing meat for supper
* Changing diapers
* Tying shoes
* Brushing hair
* Wiping tears
* Brushing teeth
* Coloring
* Wrestling on the floor
* Dating my husband
* Dating my children
* Doing puzzles
* Writing
* Teaching
* Visiting
* Volunteering
* Praying, praying, praying
* Encouraging
* Loving
* Laughing
* Spending time, not wasting it.
 
* Various and Sundry other tasks that demand an inordinate amount of time and energy, and are supremely more important.
 
Because, as a good friend assured me: One day the kids will be gone, the house will be clean and quiet, and you'll miss the mess.
 
Happy Early Mother's Day.
 
Luke 10: 38 Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. 40 But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” 41 But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, 42 but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”

1 comment:

  1. This is encouraging because I'm getting to a phase where I just can't clean anymore - and it's driving me nuts. I'm blessed that my husband can and will pick up the slack, but I can't hardly pick up anything anymore and it makes me crazy. Thank you for reminding me that there are other important things that I can still do. Just finished snuggling, praying, and encouraging. So there's three.

    ReplyDelete

"And when they had read it, they rejoiced because of its encouragement."-Acts 15:31. Thanks for commenting!