Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The Gift of Kindness {GratiTuesday}


Let me just make this clear before I begin- I am way more fun with kids that don't belong to me. Right, I know none technically belong to me at all, but you know what I mean. A neighbor kid comes over, a visit with my nieces and nephews, and I am pretty fun. Not crazy fun mind you, but pretty fun.

So when I was feeling fun with my kids the other day, I decided to make the most of it. It was one of those times where I turned into a monster and it was a good thing. One of the very few times.

I grabbed the toddler and pulled her into my arms as I collapsed to the ground. I roared, "You'll never get away!" She screamed, "I need save! I need save! Waaaa! Waaaa!" Her rescuers snatched her from my clutches and climbed on top of me for a wrestling match. As I rolled on the floor tickling the kids, (this actually happened- I'm still shocked) I rolled onto my back.

It was then that I got a firm heel to the eye socket.

With one powerful swing, the two-year-old kicked me in the eye. Direct hit. I held my eye, not quite in tears, and looked at the perpetrator, smiling triumphantly. The other kids all turned to her with shouts of, "You can't do that," but she was just so happy that she had incapacitated the monster momentarily that she kept shrieking, "I did it! I did it!"

We laughed. It was hilarious really.

I write today because on Thursday I will be giving thanks with my family and I pray you find yourself doing the same things with family and/or friends. I write this story because we fall victim to fatigue and "too much togetherness." If not with family and friends, then with other people throughout the year.

And honestly there are times we just want to kick someone in the eye because let's face it, they can be a real monster.

But people aren't monsters, no matter what act they put on. And a swift kick to the eye socket rarely rescues anyone. Ok, maybe never.

I am praying that as we all navigate our holidays that one thing prevails, kindness. Not necessarily our kindness to others (though that would be cool), but God's kindness to us.

The Lord is righteous in all His ways and kind in all His works.
Psalm 145:17 

In all His works, God shows mercy and love and kindness. Overflowing kindness that comes from a love that knows no bounds. And He infuses us with that love! What a gift! For that we can be truly thankful.


------

P.S. To all my family and friends with whom I am able to celebrate any of life's adventures... I don't want to kick you in the eye. I really love you so much! XOXO

1 comment:

  1. I really, really love you and love that we had an adventure together this year! And as time with family approaches, I need to remember that love is kind. Because, I will be honest, togetherness with my family (siblings) is hard. Wishing you the most wonderful Thanksgiving, Lauren. Much love to you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

"And when they had read it, they rejoiced because of its encouragement."-Acts 15:31. Thanks for commenting!