Thursday, March 6, 2014

Just One Day {He Will Deliver}

I can't think of a more appropriate way to begin Lent than an Ash Wednesday morning meltdown.

If you are preparing to read a hilarious account of my children's impetuous hi-jinks, think again. The meltdown was mine. And when you think meltdown, think nuclear. Think Mt. Wild Woman eruption. Think oatmeal expanding in the microwave and running down the sides of the bowl. Yuck.

That was basically it. All because of my own hang ups with the quality of my housekeeping. I guess the good part is that the only one who ended up in tears was me.

"I quit. I'm a horrible mom. I'm getting a different job."

My husband held me, rubbed my back, reassured me that I was a "good mom." But my conscience told me otherwise.

We decided to come up with a plan. My husband is giving up yelling for Lent. I told him if that was the case with me, I would have blown it already. In fact, if I had given up yelling, swearing, or crying, I would have blown all of those in record time.Thankfully, I just gave up coffee.

Wait a minute... "Do you think that's why I'm acting this way?"

"Well..." I could hear the gears turning as he contemplated the best response. "Maybe that would explain it a little."

He reminded me that the company coming wouldn't care what the house looked like. Rebecca would understand. She has five kids and is so full of grace, it just sloshes right out of her every time she moves. (You like that image, Sloshy Rebecca? :) )

"I know," I said. "That's not the point. I'm just asking for one day. I'm not asking for every day. I'm not even asking for every week. I can't get my house together for one day. Just one day!"

So today is the day after and I guess I can only say Thank God.

I wrote about Lent last year. About how its turbulence shakes us out of the inevitable settling in our souls for the comforts of this world. It's about returning to the Lord. Looking to the stone that the builders rejected.

I'll give it to you straight, yesterday was a day where dawn to dusk I had to lean on Jesus to get me through.

And that is a gift.

I was reminded of that it in my desperately needed quiet time this week too. In Genesis 12, God promises to give Abram's offspring the land at Shechem. So Abram builds an altar and worships God there.

The land hadn't been delivered to them yet. It was just at God's word that Abram found reason to worship. There was no "show me the money" attitude that we so often require today when it comes to worshiping God.

Just one day. That's all I was asking. God promises to deliver. Only He will give me days without end. One day my act will get put back together. The tears, the yelling, the poison words- those will be done. There will be no more begging for help, because my Helper will be there.

In the meantime, until that land is mine, I will believe His promise and I will worship. The altar may be a coffee-stained counter, or a laundry-covered basement, or a tear-stained pillow. But He makes beautiful things out of dust.


-------
Linking late with the always fabulous, Simply Beth for Three Word Wednesday <3

4 comments:

  1. Amen! Hang in there... Keep leaning on Him... He will give you rest and strength! Visiting from Simply Beth! I am so glad I stopped by!!! Keeping you in prayer!!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natasha! So glad you stopped by too!

      Delete
  2. You are always fabulous! Oh how guilty I am of asking for just one day. What a beautiful reminder of how God plans to deliver. :)) Love you.
    Btw...you were mentioned again in Friday Randomness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you know what--you're pretty sloshy yourself ;D

    (Don't forget to get the cliches working for you--"Cleaning the house before the kids move out is like shoveling snow before it stops snowing.")

    No accident that the enemy works overtime as we try to get our spiritual houses in order as Lent begins. Thanks for the timely reminder of what's really going on in the "crash and burn" days, and for how we get through. "But He makes beautiful things out of dust"--and so too do you, leaning on Him, make your life a beautiful grace to your family and those around you.

    And thanks again for the refreshing morning and the timely comestibles--grace upon grace :)

    ReplyDelete

"And when they had read it, they rejoiced because of its encouragement."-Acts 15:31. Thanks for commenting!